Thursday, July 14, 2005

A peep into Mumbai!

At last I found a net cafe in Mumbai. My first visit here, and I like this place already. Mainly because of humidity (reminds me of Chennai), jostling crowds (reminds me of chennai, though the magnitude is big), suburban trains (Chennai again) and the way people rush about their work. Maybe I see the Chennai in Mumbai to like it. I was surprised at the Sensex LED display at the ChurchGate station! From laidback Indore, it is a welcome change. Had one free day to roam about and I chose Crossword, the popular bookshop touted as the biggest in India. Disappointed me, as I expected something gigantic, used to Landmark at both Spencer's and NH road. Crossword doesn't stock deep like Landmark does. Not all the works of Feynman, No John Gribbin, Not even Ukridge in the Wodehouse shelf! Bah...Mumbaites! Come and see Chennai! Our place truly rocks in the reading scene. Anyway I bought two books, one an academic book on Derivatives and another called "Maverick" by Ricardo Semler. And it's time to go back to Indore. Missing my office. :-)

4 comments:

janani said...

Awww now you are making me miss Chennai more. :-(
Landmark is a huggge, and I've always found the book I am searching for. But that's not so everywhere, atleast in Hyd.
Chennai rulez! :-)

Primalsoup said...

Yay Chennai! :) And a book on Derivatives?! Phew!

Jinguchakka said...

@ Janani: I miss Landmark and I miss Pizza corner. This Indore doesn't have a pizza joint worth its name and reading isn't the in thing here :-(

@ Primal soup: yeah, Derivatives though not exactly my line, fascinates me. I am seeking somebody who can teach me some intricacies on that.

யாத்ரீகன் said...

Srini,
i regularly visit Crossword when i was in Cal. I'm not much used to Chennai , but still i've been to Landmark couple of times.

Its the environment in Crossword that has amazed me rather than the depth of books. yeah i accept that when it comes to bookshop, its the depth that is required. But still the ambience over there was quite, no disturbances (no instrumentals beats running in bg).

and the more catchy was, you have seats, where you can sit, slowly go through the book and then either decide to go for it or not. That was onething that i found it nice in Cal Crossword, dont know how it is in other corsswords.