Thursday, July 07, 2005

Losing my religion

I was in a fine mood, till the day before yesterday. Only worries were (i.e. worries that can be shared here) upcoming project's nature and scope. Additionally I was whiling away time supposedly studying, but definitely not. The morning news paper that day changed all that! "Attack on Temple" screamed the headline. I broke into cold sweat reading that. I realised it's implications and the following day, yesterday, proved them true.
All those right wingers grabbing their chance, the opposition getting worked up trying to prove its credentials, all and sundry issuing their statements and finally nation wide strike announced the next day! Mr.Billy Rubin was in everyone's statements. And the next day was even worse. religious places attacked in vengeance, trains stopped. Yuck!! People (if I can call them that) in my place, Indore, stopped a plane!! Millions of money lost, all over the country.
What gets my goat is the issue itself. First, I don't agree with what happened on Dec, 1992 itself. The aftermath cost the country dearly. And why people who proclaim the omnipotence of God should have to strive to build temples, break them and go forth? If at all the Almighty wants to have a temple at a particular place, can't he have it, being The Almighty? I am a deeply religious person and hence I am very angry, for they ( the arsonists) take up the representative stance of the faithful. I don't have to do anything with persecution and plunder in the name of my God. As vultures swoop on a carcass, these beasts pounce on a chance on take the country to ransom.
Of course the attack on the temple is to be condemned. But it is not the starting point in the recent history. I am a patriot too, and I'll accept any demolition of any religious areas, IF they are going to alleviate my countrymen from poverty, generate jobs and create bounty and happiness ever after! And my God Ram too, then will support such activity, I am sure! Religion is here being used to keep the common people fighting with each other, keep them from trying to arrive at a solution for livelihood. Religion is being used as anaesthetic, while the political leadership steals away the vitals of the people, their wealth, rights and livelihood! I am grieving at that, at my ignorant and kept as such countrymen, who assault property, sensitivities and pride of our nation.
" If this belief from Heaven be sent; If such be Nature's holy plan;
Have I not reason to lament; what Man has made of Man"
:-((

6 comments:

janani said...

Agree 101% with you. If only sanity rules their minds instead of fervour.

Peace!

Jinguchakka said...

if only everybody could agree on this

Paravai said...

chumma keesitteenga... ongaloda porumal edukkunnu enakku cleanA puriyuthu... kavalai padAtheenga neenga Mumbai pora flight minnAdi onnum nadakkAthu...

Eroteme said...

Valid concerns. I don't think that their interests lie in Hinduism or Islam. They wish to do something with their obvious uselessness and insignificance, and noise and commotion assures even an elephant in musth a news report and stardom! I really don't see it as anything beyond assertion of one's existence and definitely not the existence of "my" god and "his" supremacy over and above "your" god!
I agree, if god really wanted a temple, he could have gotten it for himself. He who made the sea bow to his will can't build himself a 40X60 sqr. feet hall? :-o

Reminds me of a wonderful line in a song I have been hearing since my childhood. I shall translate it for you:
"Every breath of mine reaffirms that God exist as long as I do"

Think about it and it is really very profound. Have you seen Truman Show?

Jinguchakka said...

No Eroteme, I haven't seen the Truman show.

Eroteme said...

Worth watching for the hidden philosophy in it. A story about a man brought up to believe that his world is the real world!