Friday, March 24, 2006

Sweet home Chennai!

Today morning I was online chatting with a friend who was planning to move back to our hometown, Chennai. I didn't give the matter much thought then. I finished chatting and went about getting ready to go to office as usual but splashing cologne a little extra than usual(nothing) idly wondering about how today will fare.

Suddenly my inner voice screamed, "Chennai". I was suddenly day dreaming, lost in thought, mind in Chennai while body in Chicago. Chennai, my mind cried.

It's two years since I moved out of Chennai. All of a sudden I started missing my friends, my bike, the Chennai roads and traffic which I used to course through, Parry's corner, the downtown of Chennai, the suburban trains, the southern suburbs. How I wish to be back there.

It's not that I dislike the cities which I have lived hence, Indore and Chicago. Indore has it's slo-mo style inspite of it's pretence being a big town. It's not fast enough for a big city guy. And Chicago, I like the city, for everything it has. But still I miss my Chennai where the climate is abominal and one stinks in sweat like within one hour of taking bath. The city where water is liquid gold, in value as well as in colour. Chennai, the city where the rudest auto-rickshaw drivers of the country can be found. But I still love the city. So I'd love to go back there.

While on this moping mood, my mind opened another parallel stream of thought. I miss a silly thing as living in a city. Any city can be good as well in these days where mail, chat and mobile have made sure that you never miss out on your friends. Yes physical presence is something which cannot be replaced, but still these devices have gone a long way in keeping people together. I miss all my friends, though. It's hard for a person who is used to have gangs of friends (yes, more than one gang). But will I get the same environ if I get to go back? Probably not. Hmm...Definitely not. And another thing is that one's mind tends to blur out all the negative things and focusses only on the happy events of the past. So it's all a collection of experiences that I can recollect but which I will never regain.

10 comments:

Paravai said...

Well me sure will be in Chennai this year end...atleast b4 ya reach India...

janani said...

No it is Chennai you miss and not just your "collection of experiences". Chennai rocks!!! Enaku Madras ponum!!! :-(((

Anonymous said...

Yeah. agreed. nothing can replace Chennai, esp. if u grew up here :)n tnx 4 commenting abt my post.

Jinguchakka said...

@paravai - Maduraikaars who speak ill of Chennai not allowed! You are free to write code for your idly kadais and be there. Or writing a 1000 times, "Chennai is great" is required. ;-)

@janani - You can go. You can think of going. ME?

@anu - you are welcome. :-)

Viewer said...

Very true and I agree with u abt this particular point wht u have mentioned is"one's mind tends to blur out all the negative things and focusses only on the happy events of the past. So it's all a collection of experiences that I can recollect but which I will never regain."

Enjoy ur weekend !

Jinguchakka said...

@viewer - Thank you!! :-)

@raz - you are welcome!

Casablanca said...

We all miss home.. and I think one unique thing about India is that we can have gangs/groups of friends in any city we are, unlike overseas. So whenever you go back, you will find the gang and it will be fun.

totti said...

Atleast chicago and chennai have a C in common :p...yeah..weird how these things take you by surprise when you least expect it...

Jinguchakka said...

@casa - you are right, Casa! That bonding is what we miss when we are alien in a society.

@totti - They have 'CH' in common! ;-) yeah, these kinda feelings ambush you.

Extempore said...

Oh yes, I quite agree with you - things are not the same when one comes back but sometimes, surprisingly those relationships evolve into bonds that steady you forever.

I hope you come back and find just that! :)