Sunday, October 09, 2005

Mera Bharat mahaan!


I saw Ghajini! At Chicago! Meeting fellow men who speak your language in a faraway land makes one happy. Getting to see a movie in your mothertongue, makes me happier. Trust me, even while was in India, I couldn't see Tamil movies because I was in Hindi heartland. But in English (American version) land, I get to go to a movie hall screening Tamil movie. Cool.

The movie's concept is a lift-off from "50 First Dates", where Drew Barrymore loses her memory within a shortwhile (15/30 mins, I don't remember now). But this movie utilises the concept for a so-called thriller, where the hero manages to overcome his handicap of memory loss to take revenge (what else?) on the villains! The original was a comedy movie, with Adam Sandler managing Drew's memory loss. Ghajini is worth watching once. First half, the humour carries the movie very well.

The thing I liked was Tamil fans! There were whistles when hero and heroine were introduced. truly like back in our place. I was proud! No matter where you are, you should foster your culture. That's my belief.

And Indians and Pakis as a whole nurture the subcontinent culture at Devon, a place an hour's drive from Chicago. There to cross the street, you have to disregard the rules. Waiting for pedestrian signal will get you nowhere. There i saw spittle on the streets, shop toilets littered with paper and water and suddenly population density was higher there! Just like in our country. I got the feel of our country there. Atrocious rates were quoted in electronics shop there, for a roti maker, and we had to bargain!

You can take an Indian out of India. But you can never take the India out of him!

14 comments:

totti said...

:) my roommates screened ghajini in the basement of our apartment with projector obtained through dubious means!! i thought ghajini was a little based on memento. You should see it if you have'nt seen it already!

Jinguchakka said...

@totti - Oh! Is that so? I haven't seen memento. And you saw Ghajini through dubious means? Great man! You keep the pride of Indians fluttering high. It's our DNA na! lol :-))

janani said...

Not fair!!! I don't accept this! I am sitting here in Hyd, the neighbouring state of TN and no thamizh movies screened here and you get to see ghajini in US??? :-(
Mememto was a great movie, I hope ghajini was atleast half as good. :-)

Viewer said...

Seriously we Indians can never throw away the India inside ... for good and for bad .....

be it littering public places or be it follwoing our beautiful culture.....

totti said...

@janani - don't worry. gult peole will copy ghajini into gult and then you can watch it in hyd :p

Jinguchakka said...

@ janani - lol. I too didn't get to see any Tamil movies when I was in India. And I agree with totti. You can watch the gult remake with some aged hero and lesser clad women. Enjoy! lol.
@ viewer - It's true for person of any nationality. Nobody can molt off their culture.

Paravai said...

Silmisam... vayiru eriyudu enakku... inga intha vAram salAm namaste thAN release aachu... no thai mozhi movies here... envy u... ok irukkave irukku morpheus :)

Rohan Kumar said...

@Totti smile coz u'll be soon on Cops for viewing movies illegally that too on equipment stolen from campus and then advertising the feat publicly on other ppl's blogs

Dunno bout gult or tam movies but I swear i havent watched as many movies in India as I have watced in the 2 years that I have been away from it :), just goes on to prove ur last line.

totti said...

@jinguchakka - aged hero? vijaykanth? ;)

Jinguchakka said...

@totti - i meant telugu aged hero. Like Krishna, Mohan Babu. And projectors stolen from campus? Oh.What are you into? :-)

@Rohan - True, It is doubtful if I would've gone for this movie in Chennai.

janani said...

Copying tam movies is right though. I nearly cried when they remade Gharshana with Ventakesh instead of Surya!!!!
But I saw Athadu recently and now I wouldn't mind if Mahesh Babu takes on Surya's role in Ghajini. ;-)

totti said...

@jinguchakka - the honours of flicking projectors from campus go to my elite room-mate (die hard fan who will go to any extent )

@janani - did you like athadu? the ending sucked big time but the rest of the movie was good. Mahesh babu is give up in acting though!!!

KM said...

lol...i loved in chicago years ago and devon(which i could swear was in chicago) was like being back home.
we'd get bhel puri and tandoori chicken and 1dollar pans.
and ur right...we desi's truly made our own rules there!

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

>>you can take an indian out of india, but you can never take india out of him

Mannn..this is really a very strong punch line........ can be used as a quote somewhere

very nice blog dude :)

http://rsubras.blogspot.com