Saturday, June 24, 2006

Guns and a Rose

After a long day at office, I slowly make my way through the car park. Two football grounds and some more, the huge carpark can pack. Always one who comes in late, it is a long walk for me having get to park the car farthest from the door.
I push myself in and drop my backpack in the backseat and myself at the wheel.

About to start, I see a car rushing in fast. The car park is hemmed by my office, a creche, a construction company etc. The car stops in front of the creche, some distance from me. Nothing unusual in that except for the rash driving. I am about to turn away when I espy a guy getting out seemingly in a hurry and at the same time being pulled in by the driver, a lady. Rivetted I look at them. A family argument.

The guy peels himself and starts walking away. The woman wildly gesticulates and talks something which doesn't reach me.The guy walks out into a pavement nearby and slowly but surely makes off. The woman starting the car with a ferocious speed matching her temper tries to come on to the other side and take on the guy head on. The guy nonchalantly gets back to this side of the pavement which is long and wide and the woman turns back the car and comes without reducing her speed. She tries to climb on to the curb and hit him. Failing in that, she stops and getting out of the car, rushes on to him. She, her arms spread wide, starts pleading something. I watch a tragic mime. They belong to different races, I could presume from the colour of the skin. A subconscious observation as I am transfixed by the quarrel.

After about a minute flailing and failing, the woman walks back to the car, alone and angry, pulls the door shut and takes a U-turn on her drive back. As the car makes the turn I notice a doe-eyed kid sitting without an expression in the back seat.
Another war, another innocent victim.

12 comments:

Mythreyee said...

sigh.... poor thing... that kid is gonna have a terrible childhood which is gonna influence its decisions for several scores of years to come... some parents have kids for the heck of it, i think.. they dont know what to do and what not to do in front of their kids... shud get some sound counsellin...

Mark IV said...

Hmmm..trying to hit the a man, or at the very least, an impossible curb, witha kid in the back seat!! Maybe the kid was ored n momma jus wanted to give him a thrill ride...

M (tread softly upon) said...

Tragic!

Jinguchakka said...

@mythreyee - you don't know how right you are!
@markiv - :-0
@m - hmm...yes

Rohan Kumar said...

Very very well setup for the last para, I m a sucker for this style of writing nyways

Casablanca said...

You, have been tagged :)

Chilla-Bong said...

Awesome depiction of a tragic incident.Feel sorry for the kid.
One more word before signing off : Agree fully with Rohan...that was a good ending.

Jinguchakka said...

@rohan - Thank you Sir!

@casa - okay. But retribution is not far behind. :-)

@chilla-bong - Welcome. Haven't seen you in these parts before, have I?

totti said...

Something in fights in crowds appeals to many!! poor kid. Nicely written, JC

Viewer said...

atleast now i hope u have learnt some lessons :being married u have a high possibility of getting run down by ur better half :)

PS :
Feel sorry forthe kid though

Jinguchakka said...

@totti - Thank you.
@viewer - Well, I could feel the pain of that kid.

Chitra said...

Kids....sigh...they are the worst affected always!