Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Living on a prayer

Last week, when during an idle chit-chat (Is there ever a official chit chat? OK..ok..they are called meetings), my friend asked me, "when do you reach office and what you do in the mornings? I said, "I come to office at around 9 0'clock +/- 30 mins".
She: "What time do you get up?"
Me: "I get up around 6.30."
She: "Then how does the whole 2.5/3 hours go?"
Me: "I brew coffee,and with coffee go thro' the two morning newspapers leisurely. Then morning ablutions(thinking meanwhile, "are there evening ones?"), prayer and finally donning office wear patting pockets for wallet, ID card, kerchief, bike key etc.. and off".
She said, ""Prayer! Wow! what will you do? Light deepak and then? prayer for how long?"
Me: "around 10 mins"
She: "What will you pray?"
Me: "Just something (thinking meanwhile, "asking the god this and that")" She left it at that and there ended the conversation.
But my conscience didn't leave it at that. It started asking me, "What is the use of your prayer if you utilise that for presenting a fresh charter of demands daily?"
Me: "Then whom to tell my grievances if not my creator?"
Conscience: "Have you ever to tried to realise the God in you?"
Me: "No. Sorry! That's beyond my scope"
Conscience: "Atleast, have you ever thanked God since there are billions in the country who are less fortunate than you"
Me: "Then what makes a person less or more fortunate? Karma?" Conscience: "Don't divert the topic.Have you not become His manager setting him targets for the day and cribbing when the day turns out to be less than what you anticipated?"
Me: "Then what should go for prayer?".
I couldn't get a satisfactory answer. I thought and thought. If god is omnipotent and omniscient, then why does he let us suffer, Him being the benevolent one? When I ride my bike along the road, what more good things than I did and how, than a person who walks along, being poor to afford a bike? Or what the guy zipping around in a car past me has done enough to satisfy God to bestow him with riches? Why is material wealth not distributed uniformly? Or for that matter why only a rare few are in possession of wisdom? If God wants everyone in His powers (and that should include EVERYONE) to lead a better life, why didn't he make one and all, a saint and a rich person, at the same time? Or why does God allow the piteous misery that many people suffer through their life? Why the heck does God allow rape, pillage and plunder in the land? Are there two areas to everyone's life, one that is controlled by God and one that is decided by every individual's actions? Could be. Like depending on your actions in the areas under your control, God decides on the area He controls!! How is this? There might be several bands of fortune. Here fortune means the sum total of your material wealth, knowledge, love, wisdom and other endowments. One may lack in something, be showered with some other thing, a la Stephen Hawking. So, He will study how you behave in the areas you can decide (like writing this blog) and decide on the area He rules over (like the band you fall in next time). This way the next time you get a better or worse band and given some area where He just watches you and doesn't interfere in your actions. If you are going to torture and harass a person, not only does it mean that your such actions aren't controlled by God, it also means that the victim has fallen into a worst band this lifetime as a result of very poor performance last time. Sounds like performance appraisal in office? Pretty much is. If this sounds like crock, answer this: can't He straightaway control and eradicate our bad thoughts and deeds? Looks like He is pretty diffident about this. I get one more question here. Say, all behave in an exemplary manner, in their present lifetime. Who'll torture a guy who has to suffer now, because of his misdeeds the last time? So God himself might mete out some kind of punishment like maiming. Then, it makes God a mere dispenser of Justice. I don't believe that. Then can't He really pardon a person who has sinned and give him a good life, all his x remaining lives? Are we all mere characters of a giant video game? And is the kid with the joy stick the God? I am going nowhere with my hypotheses.
Sometimes I, during my prayers, could connect to Him. Not that He provides answers. Just that I get the feeling He listens. Many a time I also have felt His protective Hand around me. Hmmm....I am reminded of a stanza studied long ago, nevertheless imprinted in my mind,
"Dhukh mein sumiran sab karai
Sukh mein karai na koi
Jo sukh mein sumiran karai
Dhukh kahe ko hoi"
Translated, it'd mean something like this,
"Everyone thinks of Him when in sorrow
Nobody does when being happy
For whom remembers Him in joy
there is no sorrow as such" .
Seems that's the way the cookies crumble!

14 comments:

RS said...

Hmm...philosophical trail of thoughts...for which not many of us have answers :)

totti said...

Lots of questions. Some may not even have an answer. Good to ask though.

Viewer said...

Neat write up :)
For me prayer is more of just a conversation with someone - not really some particular god or somthing but something beyond that. ( Here when I say beyond God I mean abt God discriminated as per religion). These conversations are sometimes between me and me where I myself answere my questions and sooth my own tentions, somtimes its pondering upon the suggestions and opinions

Directhit said...

Good One :-) I believe in being happy with what I have and at the same time being concerned about my fellow beings ..... ur questions are intriguing and at the same time sans answers … my belief is in the Anbe Sivam pattern…… love others… I guess that changes the world than believing in prayers…. no hard feelings.. Praying for others is also a way of loving them I guess! This is wht I had to pen about God

Paravai said...

Silmisam ennoda kanna thoranthutteenga... intha mAdhiri gnAnam ellAm oru 40 vayasileye vandurum... ana ongalukku konjam late (51!!!)

Rohan Kumar said...

Hi first time here (i guess), I couldnt help but feel a hint of hypocricy running thru the post even though you did manage to redeem yourself by declaring God to be one of your best listeners in the end. Liked the ending stanza by Kabir too (i guess).

Jinguchakka said...

@ RS: If we could answer, then we'd all be saints!

@ totti: I only know to ask questions.

@ Viewer: :-)

@ Anoop: Changing the world is not on my agenda. Big concept! But I like to understand why I am.

@ Senthil: Thanks for your backhanded compliment

@ Rohan: You've been here before. And you are bang on. I don't want to end up on HIS wrong side, man! :-) Seriously, what I have described, I have undergone them. And yes, that was Kabir. Good!

Viewer said...

Thanks for dropping by:) Well I usually think of astory write it and then find a picture realated to that so fax i havebeenlucky to find pcitures which potray my stories :)

janani said...

Very diplomatic post! :-)

Things are not always fair in life I guess.

Sidewinder said...

toooo many questions !! mmmm

Viewer said...

Hey thanks for the compliment :) isnt it time for a new post ?

cutefreaky said...

nalla ezhuthirukka and more than that only nw i realised u are jinguchakka.. this nick reminds me of my dad as he used to use this word often .....making me nostalgic..
take care
sukku

Jinguchakka said...

@ Karthik - I bow at you, Mr.Funda King!

@Viewer - Thanks for your follow-up. These make a blogger's day! :-)

@Janani - Diplomatic?? It's anything but.

Suganya said...

hi
as evry1 said 2 many ques... :-)
kelvi selvam is gud.. its true it appears as if god has discriminated ppl.. these questions pop up my mind too quite often...i think the emphasis should be on how v r on wat v r, not merely wat v r...