Thursday, August 04, 2005

All is fair in war and politics!!

With a coffee, in hand I start scanning the news paper. Reading the cartoons, sports pages, I slowly gulp the filter coffee. When you don't put your lips on to the rim of the tumbler, you cannot call it sipping, right? So, I slowly "gulp". Calvin is upto his usual pranks. Some Hollywood starlet divorces. News is thin. Amidst of all this I saw a photo. Madhya Pradesh CM, coming out of the Assembly to plead the opposition sitting outside on protest, to come in. I was pleasantly surprised. In my homestate, TN, politicians of opposite sides are not supposed to even look at each other. Few days back too, I saw a photo of MP politicians of all hues warmly talking to each other at the start of the assembly session! Why can't such manners and pleasant demeanour be practised by my home state politicians, I wonder! It's not that MP politicians are not tainted of scandals. Infact their conversation when two opposing guys meet and cheese for the cameras might even go like this:
X: "Hi, How are you?"
Y: "Hi, How is the enquiry against my corruption coming on?"
X: "Oh, That building society scandal. I have put a committee, headed by a retired judge, who needed a salary more than a pension. It may be the end of it.BTW, what happened to your agitation against my misrule?"
Y:"Yeah. We burnt a few buses, got few diehard followers arrested. a few more assembly noisy protests and a day's strike. That's it. meanwhile can you take care to evict us when we protest?"
Y: "Sure. And there are a few judges retiring this year end. So if you get to occupy this post, next election, you need not look far, for some committees. And how did your daughter enjoy Switzerland?"
Y: "Fine. Thanks. My daughter likes Switzerland. Eventhough the bank account business took a whole day, she got to sight-see too"
X: "Good. Next week I am sending my nephew for that job. OK. You carry on with your protest, while I'll give some sound bytes to those journo nuisance on leash there"
Y: "Ciao"
All done with panache. Scandals, corruption, strikes, riots are the same everywhere. But why does my state politicians look daggers at each others, refuse to even share the same forum including assembly and so on? When the mayor of the state capital met the CM, both belonging to opposite parties, a few years ago, it made a major news splash! Partly the media is responsible for stoking their enemity, I believe. As a result, very little gets done for the state and its people! :-((
Hope the next generation of politicians come together in tackling people's grievances, while they make something in the side. Something in the side, that will go on! It will become the longest surviving profession, when all other professions beome extinct. Come On, a famous politician once said, "A man who is in charge of honey distribution from the jar is entitled to lick his hand later on!"

3 comments:

totti said...

Nice. funny conversation.

Fathima Sagar said...

Bloghopped here, interested by ur name(Jinguchakka). Nice to c u like "The Alchemist" and J.K. Rowling.
Politicians r Politicians.

Jinguchakka said...

@karthik - Thanks but I fear I may be right.

@fathima - Screen name drew you? lol. Thank you. :-)