Saturday, December 30, 2006

Thoughts as I leave

I am gonna miss this place! Chicago!

I came with a different opinion. I am going back with some of them changed, and some of them strengthened.

Could understand many things better now, like the addiction on oil. This country is beautiful. And the people too!! ;-)

The one aspect which confounds me still, is politics.

I am still unable to understand the reasoning behind the wars. In my opinion the military is highly spreadout. At one point in time, when the draft gets implemented, public opinion will turn against it forcing a retreat in the many theatres of war. But that will come at a time after lots of enemies have been made and ironically when the troops should be in the battle field. One has to pick the battle to win.

In India, we appear so conservative. One family's black sheep becomes the talking point of the entire neighbourhood. And to become a blacksheep one doesn't have to stray much. If it's not a metro city, just marrying out of caste is enough. But we tolerate public leadership who are no paragons of virtue in their personal life. I bet no member of public would like to prefer the personal life of the leaders, but would still prefer the personalities to lead the society. Bigamy, shady relationships, everything goes. But in US it's just the opposite. The public tolerates anything among them. But for leaders they expect characters straight out of the scriptures. No extra-marital affairs, sorry! This in a country where the bonds of marriage are very flimsy. The country's leader may have boosted the economy, increased minimum wages, pursued peace instead of war, but still gets his knuckles so hard for a private deviance from values. You can't call what happens between consenting adults illegal. But still he can be besmirched for that. Hmm...

Anyway, I am leaving the place I like, to the place I love!

11 comments:

Ananya S P said...

Jinguchakka

Happy New Year 2007 :)

Are you headed back to India?

Thats great...

Anu said...

All the best jinguchakka.

mitr_bayarea said...

Wishing you the very best this New Year and in your return to India. Are you leaving for good?

Casablanca said...

Back to India, eh? Were you flying over new year's eve?

Anyways, Happy New Year, and hope to still see you around, from India.

By Deepa and Supriya said...

I have wondered about the paradox you elaborated on in your last paragraph. Are you back, yet??

think said...

Happy new year:-)) Thaz sad to go back isn't it.

Me too said...

"I am gonna miss this place!" - It happens to me all the time when I move(and I would've complained about it all along!)!

And that's interesting point about Politicians!

Terri the terrific said...

Hi, Srini,

You can now find me at http://terristurf.blogspot.com/. Thanks.

Jinguchakka said...

@anusha - yup. I am in India now.

@anu - Thanks!

@mitr - thank you and wish you the same. For now, it seems for good. Let's see. :-)

@casa - You are right. I landed as the new year dawned! :-)

@orchid - And what do you feel regarding that?

@priya - No, it isn't sad.

@me too - Each place leaves it's own imprint!

@terri - And why the change of url?

Mythreyee said...

Welcome back! :) :) and welcome ME back to the bloggin world too :D :D

By Deepa and Supriya said...

hello jc,
whatsup...why no post??