Thursday, September 28, 2006

tangy tragedy!

Last Sunday.... A lazy Sunday.
I am roaming the city with two friends of mine. A temple, mall and a superstore. Pals 1 and 2 work in another organization. P1 is an Assamese, while P2 is a Tamilian as yours truly. P1 starts, "Dude! At our office, yesterday there was an argument over tamarind rice!".
"What?".
P1, "The Kannadigas were saying that tamarind rice should be called Puligere while the tamilians said it is actually PuliyOdharai".
I am interested. "What happened then?". This maybe another country and we all are Indians here. But inter-state wars are carried over. Cauvery water does that.
P2 says, "It was decided to google both the words with the one with the most number of results to be the winner!".
Sounds perfectly logical to me. "So who was the winner?".
P2 says, "The Kannadigas man! Puligere returned more hits than PuliyOdharai".
I was outraged. Damn the MTR guys! When the poll doesn't favour you, trash the methodology. I proceed to do that.
I argue, "But that is a stupid way to decide!!".

I fervently give examples. "Listen, if the words "Jesus" and "Jenna Jameson" were to be googled, who will return the most results/videos? They are poles apart. Just because Jenna is favoured on the Internet, does it mean that she is better?".

Fuming, I continue, "For deciding who is good, if we depend upon these results, we have to decide Jenna Jameson is good. But it is not so. Jesus is the good person. Jenna is not good. So this googling method is not correct".

After a pause, P2 the Tam pipes up, "I don't believe that".
"Whaaat?" go I.
"I don't believe Jenna is not good", smiles P2.
Cause is lost because of my stupid example.
:-(

13 comments:

Me too said...

ROTFL!!! Aah, the things we got to defend!!!!

Rajesh &Shankari said...

I vote for puliyodarai....i totally agree with the logic, I would have gone on to argue that we dont post puliyodarai recipe on the web as every tamilian will know thw recipe blah blah blah...

rads said...

hahaha, that was a cheeky turn to your noble cause. Intention was good, but bad example eh?

it's like tomayto, and tomahto. Same difference. :)

By Deepa and Supriya said...

First, its "PULIYOGARE" not Puligere.
Second, i don't believe that I had to go and google it all over myself just to make sure we had actually won (yes, I am a kannadiga)
Third, i guess the end did justify the means...so that's that then

Jinguchakka said...

@prachi - You said it!

@me too - :-)

@shankari - and you think that would've won the argument? The google counters speak louder na!

@rads - Who is the singer? I remember the song from "Harry met Sally".

@orchid - I know that you are a kannadiga. But the post is not just about Tamarind rice. It's the dressing. I believe my post has an underpinning as well. :-))

rads said...

the song goes something like this

u say e[e]ither
and i say e[y]ther
u say ne[e]ither
i say ne[y]ither
eeither either
neeither neither
let's call the whole thing off

u say potato
i say potahto
u say tomato
i say creole tomahto
o let's call the whole thing off

o if we call the whole thing off
Then we must part
And though if we ever part
That would break my heart

..cutesy stuff.
I believe it was Harry Connick who sung it, but the orginal was Louis Armstrong or Gershwin. I could be wrong tho'... It's one of those classics that people keep redoing in the name of art, and the orginial is sorta lost along the way.

Love the movie. :)

expertdabbler said...

hm, guess my position is difficult!
i totally agree with u that tamarind rice should be called puliyodharai, but then i also agree with yr friend in the case of Jenna :D

Ananya S P said...

Cool post :) I agree with you. It should be called Puliyodharai. The Cauvery guys are crazy to call it puligere. They call our own samba rava upma or kutti upma as Kaara Baath! Uff...

First time here...

Jinguchakka said...

@rads - Thanks a lot! :-)

@prabu - atleast you voted for PuliyOdharai! ;-)

@oliveoyyl - what was that, about sample, content and judgement? lol.

@anusha - welcome dude!

Anonymous said...

As a Bombay-raised (yes, I still refer to it as bombay) Kannadiga married to a Tamilian, I say "the more the merrier". If it has umpteen names, at least I can justify making it more frequently.....

No dear, it was puligare on monday, today it is puliyodarai Can't you tell???

Viewer said...

LOL :))

Syam said...

lemon rice is called as puliodharai in telegu...both the languages put together cudn't make it in google...so sad... :-)
(enna oru aaraachiba)

btw, am the whole sale dealer for puliodharai.. did my name show up :-)

நிலாச்சோறு said...

http://www.answers.com/topic/tamarind

says

"in Tamil and Malayalam it is puli. In Kannada it is called hunase."

So you got it..?
Let peace prevail..!