Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Tag - 10 things I miss of Mom’s cooking Meme

I was tagged by Shankari to do this, like some 3 months back. I may dither; I may delay; but I never fail to deliver. {punch dialogue copyrighted}

Filter coffee
Ultimate. A brew famed among our clan.
Morkuzhambu
Basically, it's boiled buttermilk with turmeric, salt and what not. To simplify such is blasphemy, though. She makes it extra spicy. Oh! It goes even with curd rice.
Poondu thogaiyal
Never had like this garlic chutney anywhere else. Usually not an item in our households, she used to prepare this.
Carrot fry
Not the usual style. A lot different and a killer dish. Many a time, I would have rice mixed with just this and nothing else.
Cocunut burfi
Her staple sweet for all functions. Can't think of a festival without one. Here I ponder. Is it just the food or the association of the particular food and mom that makes it special? Well, One never knows.
Onion and capsicum bajji
Her "Hall of fame" snack, veggie slices coated with flour and fried. :-)
Aviyal
I love it. Why does a common dish which can be had everywhere tastes unique when prepared at home? It's like a doosra of Saqlain or the sneaker(actually a "snaker", for it crawls in without a spin) of Kumble, a patented, associative thing.
Thakkali thokku
Spicy tomato chutney, made to withstand for a week or so, but can't last beyond 2,3 days as it gets devoured with a relish.
Paruppurandai kozhambu
Lentil balls soaked in sambhar. No side dish needed. They rock! I am yet to learn to prepare this delicacy.
Green chilli chutney
One loses count the number of idlis eaten when taken with this extra super hot side dish. This too is one which I've never tasted anywhere else so far. If one is not very careful with the amount of this taken with idlis, dire consequences which I do not wish to eloborate in a "foody" post, will befall.

And sitting down to write this piece, I wondered how things that we take for granted make us miss them when we don't have them. Like mom and her cooking. I am one who used to eat out as much as possible, spend time out of the house almost all of the days and hooked on to phone even while at home. Even for festivals, I used to wait for the decent amount of time before roaming out into the city, not caring to enjoy the food at home. I have had her saying that it is better when I stay faraway because I call and talk regularly than when at home. But some things grow on you within the small amount of time that you devote to them.

I don't tag anyone. It hurt me to write this, living far from home. But if any of you take this on your own, give me credit! :-)

14 comments:

Me too said...

Whoever comes up with such tags!! Anyway, "yum, yum, yum.... delicioso"(like how Backpack says in Dora!)!
(recipe of Poondu thogaiyal kedaikuma?)

the Monk said...

Filtee coffee. Maaannn. And you forgot sundal!!

The Conscience said...

"I may dither; I may delay; but I never fail to deliver. {punch dialogue copyrighted}"

Will that be a C-section or natural?

PS - cudn't resist:))

The Conscience said...

Now I am hungry and far away from home!!!

Casablanca said...

I just learnt to cook a lot of the stuff that I liked back home... and I've been away too long to miss it anymore.

M (tread softly upon) said...

:)) You learn the value of something only when it is not there any more. It happens with all of us. Here's hoping you get to visit home soon and eat some of that good old home cooked meals.

Jinguchakka said...

@me too - Will fwd you the recipe when I get it.

@monk - Navratri special? :-)

@the conscience - PJ!!

@casa - Me too in the process of learning. I guess you'll miss the current place when you go back to India! :-)

@m - very true!

Anonymous said...

mmmm....that sure is a good list. That green chilli chutney sounds intriguing. GC usally features as a side-kick in most chutneys, but it sounds like it is the prima donna of this dish.

found my way here blog-hopping. Nice read. Still smiling from some of your posts :)

cheers!

Terri the terrific said...

Srini (sorry to shorten your name, but one's uncle is similarly named and one is quite fond of him, plus you seem to fall in his age bracket), isn't it funny how we go out of our way to be nice to virtual strangers who leave comments on our blog because we are polite, but take the real people in our lives for granted?

However, given boundless maternal love, I'm sure you'll always be numero uno in your mom's life, even if you fail to deliver.

By Deepa and Supriya said...

Since I just got back from what seemed like an eternal vacation can't complain too much. Mom spoilt me :)
On a different note...i accidentally blog hopped to http://juzfun.blogspot.com..thought might be interested!

Rajesh &Shankari said...

Oh at last! Nice list there...Sorry if it made you homesick, but you will be going pretty soon...rt?

Jinguchakka said...

@Saffron - Thank you! :-)

@terri - Uncle!! :-O Hope I am terri's uncle and not mom's.

@orchid - Thx, I visited that blog. It too has been started shortly after mine.

@Shankari - No need for a sorry.

Terri the terrific said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paavai said...

mom's cooking .. nothing in the world to beat it - even it is a simple thayir sadam with freshly cut manga with milagappodi