Saturday, February 04, 2006

Don't ask me why

Today at office, there is a technical environment issue, and we could not work for some time. That means some rare idle time. Rare? Yes, frequently we have free time, but idle time is rare.

So wondering what to do, I get an idea. Why not count my managers? Yeah, just like they do at the census. I start framing the rules (that much idle time).

The rules for the managers to be counted are, first I should be reporting to them directly. Second only line managers are counted.

Here's my list:
1.Team lead: She is the client manager whom my team reports to. She looks after all the day to day work I do. She should be looking into the data, but she is more interested in the metadata. They go to make the ppts, right? But a nice person.

2.Project lead: This is the MS Access guy. He is a freelancing contractor, out to justify his position. His responsibilities are the timelines, deadlines and dependencies. He gets himself interested in the actual work that is being done, without being qualified/empowered to do so. A micro manager, a dilbertian classic.

3.Resource lead: While my manager #1 is from the client, this manager is from my employer. She approves my time sheets, leave and gets feedback on me from the clients. A macro-manager, good one.

4.Offshore lead: He is my manager who conducts the appraisal, decides on the rating, promotion and consequently the hike.

5.Matrix manager: He is the guy whom I should be copying my reports. He is to participate in me-management, and is to have a say on everything that #4 does. It's not far removed from line management, in theory.

6.Informal manager: This person, asks a lot of questions, replicates what i do to see what I say I get, is what it is, and constantly looks over my shoulder and does a lot of back seat driving. This person, part of the client team, is not accountable but takes all the credits ensuring I don't get any updates as well as limelight.

Oh my God! The count is already six.Six people for one. That's too many cooks and I am the broth.

Please somebody reading this hurry up, run and close down those IIMs. Shutter them down. I have a cousin and friends out there, but I don't mind. There are too many of their species roaming about.

P.S: 1.The intelligent IIM grads reading this will argue that I am not the only guy reporting to all those people. On this my take is that it's still a many to many relationship. :-)

2. For my managers who may chance upon this post, it's all in a lighter vein. I am trying my hand at humour. Please do not mistake this as my opinion. :-)

3. The title, one may know, is from a song by Billy Joel. Here onwards, I'll find titles for posts in songs I like, and from artists I favour. So all you out there, you'll get an idea of how my taste runs. This would help you in choosing a birthday gift next month for me (Hint! Hint!). For further important details like my address to send it to, mail me. :-)

P.P.S: Free time is when your load is a bit less and you feel like going for a coffee, take a leak and answering personal mails. Idle time is when you've done all that and still left with some time and some problem that inhibits work. :-))

7 comments:

Casablanca said...

I am green with envy!!! I want free time too!

PS: So totally agree with redundancy in reporting lines... duh, it is!

Jinguchakka said...

Hey Casa, Surprised by your support. I thought you'd have a go at me on this. :-)

Paravai said...

well my case is even worse... My clients are totally impressed with my performance... in fact they are so impressed that they consult me before taking any decision and treat my like a project manager... but my offshore managers dont even treat me like a human being... according to them i am just another guy on the road... mm but at the end of the day... it is the opinion of my offshore manager that counts as far as my appraisal is concerned... The fault is not mine... may be south indians should start having surnames...

Casablanca said...

Surprised at your surprise... did you think I'm an IIM grad? :)

Jinguchakka said...

@paravai - Munni! I sympathise. We are birds of the same feather.

@Casa - hmm...yes. :-) Remember your "arbit" post?

littlecow said...

6 is quite a number. but atleast you know who your bosses are unlike yours truly who gets duly surprised by new people who demand to know what i do, under the pretext of being my boss!

Jinguchakka said...

All in the game!