Sunday, January 15, 2006

Makaan ka talaash (or whatever they say in Hindi for house-hunting)

I am stressed this week. Not because of any work load. I have to find an apartment to move in, as I can stay in hotel, for only one more week. I began looking for one. My friend K advised me to go for a shared accomodation, as that would be cheaper. And I faithfully started following the Indian websites where classifieds are the staple diet sorted by cities. And my research resulted in several findings but not a suitable acco for me.
1. If the ad is for the area you are looking for, then it would have been taken already.
2. If the rent is very low, then it would be far away from the place you want to move in.
3. If it's your area that's advertised and the rent is fabulously low, then it would invite only females! Infact men are almost a minority, I felt, going by the ads.
And I started hunting for apartments on individual sharing basis too. There too, I became experienced enough to write a thesis.
1. If the place comes up to all your expectations like affordability, accessibility, then the owner would reveal that there are already people who have shown an interest. Infact only if the background checks on them reveal a lurid past, you'd get a chance.
2. If there are no takers for the apartment you are shown, then it is sure to have some faults.
Here I am, searching in a far western suburb of Chicago (infact it's almost another town) and yet there is enough competition.
Next week would reveal how I fared in my hunt for a home...

6 comments:

Casablanca said...

Its actually 'makaan KI talaash', but well, hindi aint your forte, so well done ;)

And remember... if the house is perfect, but not tenanted already, it might be haunted. Muahahahhaaha :D

janani said...

This is why the wise stay in India my friend! :-)

Gud luck.

KM said...

lol...house hunting is so stressful...ive been through it...but we found a gorgous flat...in main chicago!
good luck!

Viewer said...

Hey best of luck in ur house hunting quest :P

Rohan Kumar said...

Its a dirty job but someone's gotta do it :)

Jinguchakka said...

@casa - Thanks a lot buddy!
@janani - OhO! Time will tell. ;-)
@khizzy - but you are a female, so my laws don't apply to you! :-)
@viewer - Danke!
@rohan - yeah, got tired of it, though learned a lot in the process.