Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Driving Mad - Part II

Part I

Last week, I had to buy a car. Till then, I was enjoying my company's hospitality and latest cars. That had to end. Here I go with what happened after.

I put down the loan my company gave me for one pre-owned car. The second day I take the car to office, we had to have a snow fall. :-( And a good seven inches at that! Nature knows that I was yet to buy the snow shovel cum ice scraper.

I decide to leave office early, and still the snow catches up with me. Not sure how my new acquisition would behave in the inclement weather. I am all nerves inside as I try to gingerly drive out in the falling snow. For some time traffic is heavy making my job easier. Then I turn to the desolate road which takes me to my place.
There the road becomes a single lane either way, cars are sporadic, and people are in a hurry to reach home. They try to drive at the maximum speed possible. But one guy in his new car is blocking their way. I crawl at 25 mph, wipers work furiously and my eye balls stay glued to whatever I can see. The guys behind cannot take it after a while. They overtake me by moving into the opposite lane! Voila! I have made Indians out of disciplined law abiding Americans. Ignoring stares as they zip by, I continue to drive them mad by driving at snail's pace. Finally I reach home after an hour's crawl which usually is done in 25 minutes drive.


The next day, being a weekend, I wake up in the afternoon. Armed with a credit card, and my hands rolled in a polythene bag, I proceed to remove the snow from my windshield and scrape the ice coating that is beginning to form. One helluva job.

Above, is my car with a white fuzzy top! If you carefully see, there are lemons under the wheel to be crushed!

9 comments:

Paravai said...

oru perriya poosanikkAi vAngi suthi nadu roadla odachu irukkalAm illa

Third Eye said...

Ha ha ha... You write really well! You can be sure to have a regular visitor for your blog henceforth :)

Madhu said...

:) Congrats on the new car!

Jinguchakka said...

paravai - unga mandaiyai South Carolina'lerndhu kondu vandhu irundhaal nalla irundhirukkum. OK, when is your promised visit to Chicago? pattikaataan pattanathai paarka vendaamaa?
third eye - you're welcome. I read many of your posts, and I like them too.
@madhu - Thanks! :-))

Casablanca said...

Congrats. What an interesting experience that snail-pace ride must have been :D And yes, congratulations for the new car too ;)

PS: Why the lemons?

Jinguchakka said...

Thanks Casa! Crushing lemons is a ritual. It is done for every vehicle at the end of Navratri, and also when a vehicle is acquired.

P.S: You see, I do check on my previous posts too. :-)

Viewer said...

Sorry couldnt check out ur post earlier due to the hectic work schedule.

"Lemons under the wheels to be crushed " Boy must say u havnt forgotten the traditions :) plus for some unknown reason its feels good to hear it :)

Jinguchakka said...

@VIEWER - that's OK. But I noticed it. :-)

Fathima Sagar said...

I had similar experience some 4 yrs back when I learnt driving Scooty. The weirdest thing I did was on my way to my college(its a narrow road and not much vehicle come), whenever I c a lorry in the rear view mirror, I used to apply brake in the middle of the road(!!!) and push my Scooty to one side, to let the lorry pass by.