Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Flights of fright!

After a pretty relaxed and forcibly-been-idle Monday, I unwind on the way back home ( Is there such a thing? ). Doors' Jim Morrison was performing for me and I had him loud; blaring. At the traffic light a neighbouring driver slowly rolled down his side window and peered out at me. I became a bit apprehensive. Expecting a curse and a scowl, I inched my hand towards volume control. He just looked at me and took his head back inside. His fingers started drumming to the tune. He must have started humming too. Phew! .......
Relieved, I became all courageous again. :-)

Today, I enter my home and see a letter waiting for me. I idly look at the address it came from. It's from some court of law! Everything forgotten, shit scared, I claw at the envelope trying to pry it open. My mind gallops, mining for some past incident which plausibly now requires my presence in a court. No more signs of a tired tuesday, my adrenalin racing to an all time high, I finally get my frantic fingers to open the mail, lacerating the envelope in the process. Out jumps a cheque! For five bucks! Completely bewildered now, I manage to read through the covering letter. I learn that out of 100 bucks collected from me some time ago for over speeding, I am getting a refund of five dollars as the fine had been only $ 95! That incident happened nearly 8 weeks back. It takes some time for me to calm down, and calm I become laughing hysterically. Whoa! The very sight of a court address on the envelope has shivered my timbers.
Shaken but not stirred! :-))

9 comments:

Anand said...

haha!
Would have been quite a surprise!...well thats why they say life is full of surprises!

Rajesh &Shankari said...

LOL, yen veena speed pannitu ippadi bayapadunum..

Rohan Kumar said...

Congrats on avoiding the ticket that you nr got in the first place ;), how much were you speeding anyways?

Has to be me said...

Thankfully it wasnt a rude surprise!

M (tread softly upon) said...

I'd be scared too :) So what will you do with the 5 bucks now? You have to come up with something worthwhile.

Viewer said...

this wud have never happened in india never!

Jinguchakka said...

@anand - I like it predictable.
@shankari - bayapadakoodaadhu'nu solreengalA illai speed'aa pOi irukka koodaadhu'ngareengalA?
@rohan - 93 in 65. :-)
@hastobeme - yup!
@m - gimme some ideas. I am yet to encash.
@viewer - yes! yes! lol.

KM said...

*sigh*
just one of the cons of being a desi in gora land!
[:D]
saaray jahan seh acha...desi-land humara?
:P

Paravai said...

5$ mail in rebate??? oh man... even courts in US has started givin rebates??? this deal wasn't there when i paid a 180$ tiicket...