Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Horror of horrors

Lately I've begun noticing that I'm reading lesser and lesser. This would be normal for most people as it is difficult for one to continue reading beyond your work needs as you settle in your job. But among my relatives I was known for my reading. No, not for the stuff I read. It's the voracity I'm talking about. I used to read anything without any preference. And almost tended to be just light stuff. Magazines, fiction kitsch, news papers, old newspapers that the grocer used for packing etc.. Basically anything went.

Some people remember the characters of all the novels they read. Not me. I basically read for enjoying the read. Usually I recognize what I've already read but never the characters. Ofcourse rare exceptions are there.

In my once daily train commute to work and back, if I were to be without anything to read it would be difficult for me to endure the ride. I'd crane my neck on to what others would be reading. I'd even borrow some reading material.
I still remember Saraswati puja days of then, when it'd be tough going for me without the daily newspaper. The only stuff I was not interested in reading was the academic books and Mills & Boon. Otherwise I've read even while walking!!

Such a person, I used to be. But not anymore. Yesterday I went to Borders, the books and music chain. I found myself gravitating more towards music racks than books. Not that books lost the allure. They speak in their own language to me, still. But somehow, I could not bring myself to buy them as I know I've already three unread books with me. I've committed to myself that I won't be buying anymore till I finish them. All I bought was two frivolous magazines. And that too because I've decided not to buy music CDs for now.
The 10 or so I've ordered, are in transit, that's why. :-)

The net is a culprit to a great extent. I like to check all my mail IDs atleast twice a day. Orkut and blog-hopping takes up the rest of the time.

Last week I was furious about myself for not doing enough reading. I decided on a drastic action. I vowed to myself that till I complete atleast one pending book, I won't be coming near my laptop. It lasted all of an evening. After dinner, I promptly went to an early sleep instead of reading. Morning I found myself catching up on my lost net-surfing.

Also my friends whom I used to discuss books are not with me now. I've moved cities since.

Somebody help me!!! Any ideas how to get back on reading? And that's reading like a maniac which I used to be.

10 comments:

Paravai said...

Aging my friend...its called aging...

karmic said...

It has nothing to do with age. I am old and I still read. Nothing like reading to keep the mind and brain sharp. Try joining a book club or listen to books on tape while you drive or even while on public transit.
Or read a book and blog about it, you will be surprised how many people will interact with you with that, might make it more fun. :)
Start with something you care about or are passionate about too and then build on it?

Jinguchakka said...

@ paravai - I wanted some suggestions not a diagnosis, and that too a wrong one.
@karmic_jay - Thanks. Will try one of your suggestions.

janani said...

I second the previous suggestion - make it a point to blog a book review once a week or something. You can read up other people's recommendations too. And maybe you can begin with frivolous magazines too.

Gud luck :-)

Jinguchakka said...

@janani - Hmm....a good idea. And welcome to my blog! :-) After a long time!

Viewer said...

Hmm... so u too area avid reader like me ?? wht kinda of books do u prefer to read ? Any fav authors ?

Jinguchakka said...

@viewer - No particular favs. Any one who keeps my interest on will do.

Madhu said...

a lot of wat u've said sounds just like me... not remembering characters in books, reading thru even scraps of paper.. *same pinch* :D
anyways, ask around for book recommendations, get hold of some good books and get reading.. u'll be hooked in no time..

ligne said...

yep..writing book reviews help..The othe r thing that helps is travelling. I have got back to reading really thanks to travelling in trains..

Jinguchakka said...

@madhu - same pinch! yenakku valikudhu :-)

@ligne - Do you mean suburban trains?