Monday, December 12, 2005

Art in my heart

Last weekend of my business trip, I thought I'd catch a glimpse of history of the city. So I contacted the Chicago cultural center who arranged a volunteer to give me a 2 hour walking tour. It was a nice experience. Learnt about some of the important buildings of the city.


I saw the Hay Market memorial where a violent end to a labour meeting gave rise to May 1 being observed as the Labour day the world over. At the end, I thought going to the art museum would be a better way to spend the hour I had before catching the train back to suburbs.Called the Art Institute of Chicago,it's a veritable treasure trove of art, from the world over.

They have a hall for Indian art, where scultures from Karnataka, Tamilnadu,Rajasthan and AndhraPradesh were displayed. Mostly they were donated to the museum by people whose ancestors were in India during the British occupation.

There is a special sculpture showing Shiva and Parvathi with Muruga in betweeen. The uniqueness is Lord Muruga is in a dancing position, normally never in such a position in any temple. And it's not in our country!


There are rare paintings, sculptures, artifacts ranging from very old to Modern abstract ones. One day won't suffice. I did it in hour! Just 2, 3 halls. That's all.



A sculpture by Rodin in the foreground. Claude Monet's paintings in the background.



P.S: The volunteer who accompanied me in the morning walk till my museum visit, had been to many places in India than me. He embarassed me saying that he'd even been to the Andamans!!

No comments: