Monday, November 22, 2010

Shaken and Stirred!

Amidst the daily humdrum and dodging of one problem after another, sometimes life throws up pleasant surprises as well.

Last week I took a cab from my office for my visit to the dentist. When I got down the meter showed something close to 330 rupees. I remarked that usually the charge is less than 300 rupees, or at least something to that effect through whatever Hindi I was able to rustle up.

The cab driver politely asked me to give him only 300 rupees!! I was truly shaken by this.

After handing over 300 rupees I asked him whether he could take me back as well, after my dentist appointment. Usually cabbies jump at direct offers because they don't have to shell out a portion of the fare to the cab company. The money is entirely theirs and so they are eager to take direct requests.

So here I go, "Can you give me a drop back to my home as well?".

"When would you require a cab for the return trip?", asks he.

"In another 2 hours".

He floors me saying, "Please can you call the cab company and book a request for the return trip at two hours from now?".

God is in heaven and all is well with the world!!

4 comments:

janani said...

Wow! That must have felt good. Sometimes small things like this can turn a nasty day around!
So did you get a pal set from the dentist? ;-)

Jinguchakka said...

No pal set. 1 tooth extraction and 2 root canal for now.
Dentist visit is a separate post. In fact it can even be a series of posts.

pal set yellAm for elders like you. Not for bachelor boys like me.
:-)

மாலு said...

this reminds me of your experience in salon at indore. expecting some nice post regarding your dentist visit and of course the sequels.nee.. nallavan-nna tht cab driver is nallavanukku nallavan-pa.

Sudarsan said...

In Pacino's style, You are a grumpy old fella. innum youth'nu nenappu.