Friday, October 22, 2010

Service for free!

A few months ago my hotmail account was hacked. I found so many spam in my sent box (apart from the spam, I send). I was embarrased at the content being sent using my name but couldn't think of a way out. Then a month ago, I couldn't log-in to my mail. It looked like the spammer had changed the password. I resigned myself to losing that account.


Then on a lazy day, I went through the whole gamut of links strewn on the msn page. I found out that even if you have lost your password without any back-up mail ID & questions that only you would know the answer of, still you can get your account back.


I filled up a questionnaire on my account, the answers being proof of my ownership. A temporary link was given (like a blog) where interactive help was available, though not real time. My answers got verified by somebody in techsupport and they allowed me access to my hot mail account again after a couple of days.


I couldn't believe MS has techsupport to that extent, for Hotmail. After all, it's a free email service. Hotmail was my first email account. Those days, it came with a 2 MB free storage and you have to pay for anything extra. Before the days of Gmail! I am happy to get back my first mail ID.


Ofcourse, it's not all altruism on Microsoft's part. Still Big brother does some good things too!

3 comments:

janani said...

Wow! My takes me back. My first Hotmail account was hotmail too. But I had given up on it ages ago :-)
But I think even if they do give you back access to it, do you think you will still have the old emails in it?

Jinguchakka said...

Yes, I got all of my old emails back!! Wonderful na?

Sudarsan said...

MS is not all that bad as painted by the Anti-MS.