Monday, November 20, 2006

Nonsensical niceties

Last week I caught a cold. By Thursday it became acute, setting off concerns from colleagues with my incessant sneezing, coughing and sniffing. I left early and on my way home stopped at Walgreens, the pharmacy chain.

I slid a box of Tylenol across the counter for payment.
The cashier emitted a cheery "Hi! How are you today?", while scanning the medicine barcode.
I, tired looking and reddish faced, replied with "Obviously I am not doing well".
The cashier's jaw dropped at the unexpected reply.
She looked at me, a bit perplexed.
I repeated myself while pointing at my purchase.
She then sheepishly said, " We never look at what people buy."
She must have rolled her eyes after I left.
Sometimes when you are already down and out, saccharine polite conversation kills you.

11 comments:

Priya said...

Too honest is not worth a penny sometimes:-))

Joyce - words words words said...

hope ur doing well now

Ananya S P said...

Hope u r feeling better. I was down with flu back in India for sometime thanks to Viral Fever out there...

Recouping now....

By Deepa and Supriya said...

Hope you are feeling better now and maybe you should premeptively stock up on some tylenol at home, work and in the car especially in this season.

Jinguchakka said...

@priya - very true.

@joyce - I am fine. Thanks! :-)

@anusha - Hope what you had was not that chikungunya going around.

@oliveoyl - :-)

@orchid - well, you are right. I have Alka-seltzer in stock anyway. :-)

totti said...

hee hee..one of the fellow bloggers, i don't know if he has been here, anarkist was once at walmart and the guy at the counter asked him :How are you doing today. This guy paused for a while, looked him in the eye and spoke slowly : Do you really want to know. That guy froze and then shrugged: Nah!..

I, however, rub it in with a extra shot of saccharinity (!!)..:p

Fathima Sagar said...

True! At times, polite conversation irritates a person

Casablanca said...

So, how are you today? :)

M (tread softly upon) said...

hope you're feeling better now. Tylenol is good :)

Jinguchakka said...

@totti - It's so artificial.

@fathima - When the politeness turns into meaningless things, it grates. Otherwise, okay.

@casa - Cold is very fond of me and it's goodbyes are a bit slow! Still living with it, but on the road to recovery! Thanks!

@m - Thank you Doctor!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I remember my husband responding to "have a nice day" with "why?" leaving the other guy totally bewildered. :)